Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Illusion of Comfort

What is life without death?
What is love without hate?
What is destruction without creation?

And most of all, what is comfort without fear?

Think of the old adage of "No pain, no gain." Everything seems to cycle together over and over again. They are seasons of a year that can only be described as an archaic pendulum. Back and forth. Back and forth. And for polar opposites that don't fit that, there is always the image of a coin with a head and tail. Somethings are one in the same; for example, love and hate.

What love and hate have in common is passion. From there, the passion grows... morphs to the external and internal forces.

Comfort and fear, have a common ground that isn't quite as obvious as love and hate. It isn't a coin connection, but they don't act as seasons either.

Before I go any farther, I want to clarify how I am using the words. I'm using the word comfort in terms of living in comfort by removing one's self out of the path of harm's way. And I'm using fear in terms of living with anticipation, usually anxiety.

Two words that we have been defining factors on how we view life. Do we let ourselves learn how to "comfort" or strive for a "comfortable" home away from fear? Or do we live with "fear"? Why do we watch movies and t.v. shows that horrify us in our own homes?

Unlike love and hate, comfort and fear are co-dependent. They are different, but each defines the other, much like the correlation of sweetness to sourness.

During the past years, I've been familiar with comfort. But at the same time, I despise it. In a world where we all die, and have threats crossing boarders, this bubble feels fake. Too much comfort, I would become ignorant of others (which I struggle to avoid). Too much fear, I would break. Yet at this point, I fear comfort and feel comfortable in fear. How I managed to blend the two together, I cannot say. Before, I knew that I was lost in what used to be familiar, and I still am. Yet, in a twist I did not see coming, I now have an odd sense to fear. Should I be afraid of this sudden ease towards what usually causes anxiety, or have I finally reached a state of relaxation in my mind so that I can still be comforted?

Personally, I think it's healthy to fear things. But when that fear disappears, what is left to hold you back? Especially when you don't find comfort comforting? Where does that put you?

And because of that, my mind opens up even wider, and threatens to make a deliberate change.

No comments:

Post a Comment